If not, you might be playing a dangerous game with your health. After all, this year has seen record-breaking heat – and we still have plenty of summer left!
So don’t take your health for granted. Stay safe this season with the following summer safety tips!
Protect Your Skin
• Use a “broad-spectrum” SPF 16 or higher sunscreen.
• Wear a wide brim hat, and opaque clothing.
• Use sunglasses with UV protection.
• Limit sun exposure between 10am and 4pm when UV rays are strongest.
• Drink water at least every 20 minutes when outside on hot and humid days.
• Drink water before, during, and after any form of exercise.
• Avoid alcohol the day before or the day of intense exercise, and never exercise with a hangover!
• Eat plenty of foods with potassium, sodium, protein, carbs, and calories to help with your loss of fluid – especially during activities like hiking.
Play it Safe
• Treat fireworks with extreme caution.
• Make sure surfaces you come into contact with are cool enough to be comfortable.
• Recreational vehicles (ATVs, four-wheelers, boats, jet skis, and even bikes and skateboards) should be used with extreme caution. Wear a helmet!
• If you stop sweating or have any other signs of heatstroke – fast heart rate, confusion, fatigue, or dizziness – go back to your apartment to cool off and take a long break.
Avoid the Bugs
• Wear clothing that covers your skin.
• Apply insect repellant containing DEET to clothing, shoes, and exposed skin.
• If you get bitten, use ice to reduce pain, itching, and swelling.
• If a rash, fever, headache, or fatigue develops, call your doctor.
That all sounds simple enough, doesn’t it?
We’re sure that if you follow all of these tips, you’ll have a successfully satisfying summer season!